Management Development Questionnaire (MDQ)
Management Development Questionnaire
Duration: Untimed (approx 25 minutes)
Suitable For: Managers and leaders.
Used For: Management Assessment. Qualification Levels: Level B
Kit includes: Manual, 5 Test Booklet, 25 Response Sheet,
25 Profile Sheet, Scoring Key
The MDQ is an inventory of management competencies, based on a concept model, which examines 20 key competencies most often encountered in management and work-place settings. It examines 20 competency dimensions across five broad domains:
- Managing Change
- Planning and Organizing
- Interpersonal Skills
- Results Orientation
The MDQ instruments have a wide range of potential applications:
- Competency-based development. As the MDQ items cover many of the competencies in generic management competency frameworks and company competency frameworks, MDQ scales scores (from all three versions of the instrument) can be used as the basis for a competency-based development interview.
- Assessment and development centres. The MDQ can be used as one of the assessment methods in a multi-method assessment or development centre. In an assessment centre, MDQn would be the appropriate tool as it is norm-referenced. In a development centre, the MDQi is particularly useful as it generates information about specific competency elements that the test taker identifies as priorities for development. MDQ360 reveals any disparities between self and others’ perceptions.
- Individual development plans. As an individual’s MDQ profile is based on a comparison against a norm group, it is a simple and effective method of helping managers benchmark themselves against other managers. MDQn comes with a range of norms groups including norms for top managers. The MDQn profile indicates the frequency with which different competencies are demonstrated and provides a framework for self-development activities. Chapter 2 covers the relative advantages /disadvantages of using normative or ipsative forms for development.
- 360 degree feedback. MDQ360 will help a manager understand how their bosses, peers and subordinates assess their strengths and weaknesses across a wide range of generic management competencies. It also provides a narrative based on the assessors’ qualitative comments.
- Coaching and counselling. Information from the profiles from all three versions of the MDQ provides a sound basis for one-to-one coaching and counselling.
- Teamworking. MDQn scores from a group of individuals can be used to profile a team’s potential strengths and weaknesses and gear team development activities to the acquisition of particular knowledge and skills. At the company level, the same approach can be used to identify corporate training and development priorities.